Definitely the most hated words in a girlвЂ™s life and I am sure not less of a headache for adolescent boys as well. How you hate those hot red, inflamed pop-outs on the face in all possible sizes when you need to attend a party, go for a date or just need to look beautiful like your girl gang! ItвЂ™s one of those things which can go a long way to bring down your self-esteem, put you in depression and many have also heard of people suffering from an inferiority complex over a prolonged case of acne breakouts. These particularly increases during summers and mostly bring a lot of turmoil to people having oily skin as they are more prone to acne breakouts than the others. Read more to know what acne actually is and remedies to get rid of acne.
What is Acne? Understand It Better to Treat It Better:
Acne actually means вЂњhighest pointвЂќ which originally came from the Greek word acme meaning вЂњpointвЂќ or вЂњspotвЂќ. Scientists from the Washington University School of Medicine have also found that itвЂ™s the bacteria type which determines the severity and frequency of developing acne. In the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, they mentioned that not all bacteria trigger pimples вЂ“ there is also a type which can help keep the skin pimple-free.
In most cases, the oil-producing glands in the body become hyperactive with rising temperatures and thus produce excess oil in the body that clog the skinвЂ™s pores, thereby causing dirt, pollutants, etc. to get accumulated, resulting in skin inflammation and infections like irritation, blackheads, whiteheads, and acne. Sometimes there are other factors also like -genetics, use of too many products, medications, seasonal changes, hormonal changes and stress. To control acne is not a tough task, but if you just include some simple things in your daily routine then they are not far from being treated.
Natural Remedies To Get Rid of Acne:
Honey is a natural antioxidant and one of the best ways to get rid of acne naturally. It helps to demolish the microbes in the oil rapidly, thereby preventing the development process. Just use a small tab of sterile cotton and dip in natural honey before applying to the areas where the acne exists. Leave it for 30 minutes and wash off with lukewarm water.
Lemon works as an excellent germicide in the reduction of acne. It works as a natural astringent and helps take away the abundance of oil present in the glands. Use a clean piece of cotton to apply it to the infected areas before you sleep in the night. For an aggravated case of acne, mix lemon juice with a small quantity of cinnamon powder and apply it overnight on the face. However, individuals with sensitive skin should avoid this application.
Tea Tree Oil:
Tea Tree Oil is excellent in treating pimples and acne. Its antibacterial properties help a great extent in reducing redness and acne. It also prevents whiteheads from developing. Dip a cotton ball in tea tree oil and spread over the infected areas, leave for 20 minutes and wash off with normal water. Or add few drops of Tea Tree Oil in Aloe Vera gel and apply the same way. Both these methods act as wonders.
Garlic is an antiviral, anti-fungal and cancer prevention agent that helps in treating acne quickly and rapidly. Ayurvedic healers swear by garlic as a treatment for acne scars and a sure shot way for keeping new skin breakouts from shaping. Simply cut the garlic in two pieces and apply over the skin for 5 minutes before washing off. Repeat 3-4 times in a day.
Papaya is great for the skin and hair. It contains a natural protein called papain which helps to process proteins effectively in the human body. It also has compounds that help diminish skin irritation and make the skin delectable and smooth thereby preventing acne. To use it, simply mash some papaya and apply it over the face for at least 15 minutes. After that wash off with warm water. Regularly doing this will give you excellent results in a monthвЂ™s time.
Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple Cider Vinegar is a powerhouse in itself; it kills the microorganisms present in the skin in the most efficient way possible and also acts as a natural astringent. Mix one section of this to 3 sections of the Apple Cider Vinegar and use a cotton ball to apply it to the infected zones. Keep on for at least 10 minutes or overnight. Use it a number of times during the day to see best results.
Yogurt is excellent for breakfast and can be eaten off as a sound nibble. We all know how Cleopatra kept her skin sparkling and young using uric acid showers, even in the modern era, it acts as magic to keep the skin healthy and bacteria free. Its use cannot be as simple as this вЂ“just add a few drops of lemon to some yogurt and apply over the face. Wash off after 15 minutes. Repeat twice a day to see how your acne gets treated naturally!
Aloe Vera Gel:
Aloe Vera is a wonder in itself. Not only does it help with anti-aging, but also reduces the redness, washing off toxins and keeping the skin soft and supple. Simply buy Aloe Vera gel or use a natural Aloe Vera and use its extract to apply all over your face. Wash off after 20 minutes. Practice this every day and see the wonders yourself. Aloe Vera can also be inhaled in its natural form to see maximum benefits and get rid of acne scars as well.
Vitamin- and mineral-rich potato is very useful in treating acne naturally and keeping it healthy. Cut off a few thin slices or grate a potato and apply the juice directly to affected areas, do this regularly and see how your acne and its scars will only be a thing of the past. Leave the juice on your skin for at least 15 minutes before washing off. Do this once every day.
Start taking vitamin E capsules daily and see how your skin starts shaping up after three months. Alternately cut the end of a vitamin E capsule and squeeze the contents onto the tip of your finger and apply to the scarred skin. You can also mix it into your daily moisturizer to help heal acne and the scars faster.
If you want a more therapeutic way to getting rid of acne, make yourself a homemade sugar scrub and see how its sweetness does magic to your skin. Simply mix raw organic cane sugar with olive oil at a two-to-one ratio then add several drops of organic lemon juice until you scrub obtains a good consistency. Apply this to the face once every two or three days and wash off after 15 mins. Follow up with an application of a good moisturizer and see the effects!
Though natural remedies are the best for getting any ailment treated but if you are running short of time and want a foolproof method of getting rid of your acne bouts then contacting a dermatologist and seeking help is the best way. Normally every dermatologist will give you acne OTC products that may contain the following active ingredients:
- Azelaic acid
- Salicylic Acid
- Benzoyl Peroxide
These work best in suppressing the excess oil along with the bacteria which is the reason excess acne.
Precautions to Prevent Acne:
HavenвЂ™t We All Read? Prevention is better Than Cure. Take These First Steps. If You Want to Have An Acne Free Skin:
- Make sure you drink a lot of water (minimum 10 glasses a day) and keep yourself hydrated at all times. Adequate water will wash off toxins from your body and prevent acne from developing.
- Wash your face at least 3-4 times during summers. Prefer to use a face wash, which is medicated, Aloe Vera based or high on citric acid as that helps control oil on the face. Avoid heavy make-up, foundation creams, and suntan creams of any kind and use only water based moisturizer if needed. DonвЂ™t scrub too often.
- If you are out during the day, make sure to use medicated tissues to wipe off excess dirt and oil from the face many times during the day. You can also use rose water to wipe the face as it cools off the skin.
- Have a lot of lime juice to increase your intake of vitamin C which helps a lot to control the excess oil in your body and reduce acne naturally.
- Increase intake of salads, fruits and rub off juice of a cool cucumber over the face once in the day to cool off the skin and reduce the effect of harsh external elements. Have foods rich in vitamin A, such as sweet potatoes, carrots, leafy greens such as kale, spinach, lettuce and red peppers. Just stop fried foods and junk foods at all cost to treat acne permanently.
- Never use hands over your face or prick acne. This really helps in reducing acne, avoiding infections and prevents scarring.
- Be an early bird, if you adopt this habit you will see the wonders of this simple routine. Get up early, walk on grass and inhale the fresh morning air, which is free from 90% of toxic substances, just breathe deeply and take the first rays of the morning sun. Practice to make it happen.
- Consume fresh coconut water, if possible throughout the year at least once every day and apply a pack of fuller earth at least twice a week in the summers. This helps in getting rid of acne to a great extent.
- Soak some leaves of Adirachta indica in water, leave it overnight and wash off your face with this first thing in the morning. The medicinal properties of this plant have many good effects on the skin.
- Lastly, just treat your skin like how you treat a baby! It requires your care and attention at all times, but donвЂ™t become obsessed! Feel confident and feel good in your skin, treat it right, treat yourself right and in the process the acne will automatically get treated.