Spider veins, that are also termed as telangiectasia or angioectasias appear like small, dilated blood vessels. They tend to occur as a result of weak or damaged valves in the veins. These tiny blue veins are typically found close to the surface of the skin and resembles like spider webs or branches of a tree. They are usually red, purple or blue in appearance. The affected vessels appear like thin red or blue lines on the surface of the skin or mucous membranes and look like spider webs or tree branches. This problem mostly affects the legs, hands and face, especially around the nose, cheeks and chin. In this article, we will discuss ways to get rid of spider veins.В
Spider veins are mostly found on legs (thighs, back of the calves, inside of the legs, and ankles). This is caused cue to the high pressure that veins in the lower extremities have. Just think about the force of gravity, the pressure of our body weight and the process of carrying blood all the way up to the heart.
There are several factors responsible for this kind of damage to the veins including;
- Poor blood circulation
- History of blood clots
- Taking birth control pills
- Hormonal changes in the body
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time
- Wearing clothes that are too tight
- Exposure to harmful ultraviolet (UV) sunrays.
List of symptoms that are a result of Spider Veins
Note:В Consult a doctor if the veins are warm to the touch, very tender and painful.
Though usually harmless, spider veins can sometimesВ result into the following:
- Itching around the veins
- Restless legs
At times the spider veins can also result into complications which include skin ulcers, bleeding, phlebitis and deep vein thrombosis. As spider veins are more of a cosmetic problem than a typical health problem, people tend to look for ways to reduce the unsightly appearance of these veins and get rid of spider veins.
There are people who directly opt for surgery but with some simple lifestyle changes and natural home remedies, you can easily reduce the appearance of spider veins, improve the symptoms, support good blood circulation and prevent their recurrence in future.
Here Are the Top Ways to Get Rid of Spider Veins
Ginger helps to improve the blood circulation, thus making it an effective home remedy to get rid of spider veins. This natural ingredient also helps to break up fibrin which is a blood protein that builds up in areas with injured veins. A recent study has also confirmed that ginger has fibrinolytic enhancing properties.
- Cut an inch small piece of fresh ginger rootВ into thin pieces.
- Now, add these ginger slices to 2 cups of boiling water.
- Steep on low heat for abound 10 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for flavor.
- Drink this ginger tea to get rid of spider veins.
- Enjoy ginger teaВ thrice a day to treat spider veins.
Note:В If you are on some other treatments and taking blood pressure medication or blood thinners then you need to consult your doctor before using ginger.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is yet another popular natural remedy which helps to get rid of spider veins. It helps to improve blood circulation, which indeed reduce swelling and pain. ACV is an all-natural and most popular remedy to treat various health and skin problem, spider veins being one of them.
- Soak a piece of cloth with raw, unfiltered ACV.
- Place the cloth on the affected area for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this remedy thrice daily for a few days.
- This will help to get rid of spider veins.
- As an alternative, you can also mix 2 teaspoons of raw and organic ACV to a glass of warm water and stir well.
- Add a little honey to this for flavor and drink it.
- Have this solution twice daily to get rid of spider veins.
Horse chestnut is a herb which helps to strengthen the veins and thus is very effective in reducing the discomforts and get rid of spider veins. It has natural anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce pain and swelling.
Horse chestnut is a flowering plant which is extensively been used for blood circulation problem that are associated with spider veins. The natural presence of aescin compound in horse chestnut helps to promote healthy blood vessel. The extracts of this ingredient also have natural anti-inflammatory properties and help to improve blood circulation and blood vein tone.
A study proves that regularly intake of horse chestnut extracts can help treat and get rid of spider veins. This can also help to reduce the symptoms of spider veins and reduce vascular leakage.
- All you need to do is to apply horse chestnut seed gel on the affected area.
- You can easily purchase it from the nearby store.
- Apply this remedy twice daily to get rid of spider veins.
- As an alternative, you can also mix a tablespoon of horse chestnut tincture in 10 tablespoons of distilled witch hazel.
- Apply this mixture to the affected area twice daily to get rid of spider veins.
- Intake of horse chestnut supplements is also effective in treating spider veins.
- But, you need to consult your doctor before commencing with the intake for the correct dosage.
Note:В Pregnant and nursing women are restricted from the intake of horse chestnut. Also, avoid using this herb if you are suffering from kidney or liver disease.
Regular massage of the affected area proves effective to get rid of spider veins and soothe its symptoms like pain, inflammation and swelling. It is yet another easy andВ simple way to improve blood circulation, which can help get rid of spider veins.
It is recommended to use extra-virgin olive oil or coconut oil for your massage session. This is because of the antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties present in these oils that prove effective to get rid of spider veins. These oils quickly penetrate into the skin and make it easy to treat the problem.
- Slightly warm the oil that you wish to use.
- Massage the affected area with this warm oil.
- Give firm and gentle strokes while massaging for better affectivity.
- Massage daily for 10 minutes to get rid of spider veins.
Since poor blood circulation is one of the leading causes of spider veins, exercise will help to improve the blood circulation throughout the body. It also helps to strengthen your body and get rid of spider veins fast. Regular exercise also helps to fight obesity and reduces the risk of other health problems.
- Walk regularly for around half an hour.
- Do this for at least 5 times a week.
- You can also try and walk around for 10 minutes in a period of every 2 to 3 hours.
- In order to strengthen your calf muscles, raise yourself up on your heels and then slowly lower yourself back down. Do this for at least 10-15 minutes and repeat twice or thrice daily to get rid of spider veins.
- Circulation-boosting activities, such as jogging, swimming and climbing stairs can also be included in your daily health regime.
Elevation is yet another good remedy to relieve the pressure in the veins and get rid of spider veins. The remedy can even help to improve blood circulation to the affected area.
- In case you are suffering from spider veins on the leg area, simply place a pillow under your legs while sleeping.
- You can also try keeping the legs elevated for around 15 minutes at a time.
- Repeat this remedy several times a day to get rid of spider veins.
- For spider veins on the hands, try keeping the hands elevated by placing them on a few stacked pillows. Keep them elevated for 15 minutes and repeat this exercise 5 times a day to get rid of spider veins on legs.
- In order to reduce the discomfort of spider veins on your face, try sleeping on your back with your head slightly elevated with the help of soft pillows.
- Your head should be at least a couple of inches elevated from the bed.
Compression stockings are helpful in reducing the discomforts caused due to this vein disorder. These are readily available in various lengths like knee-high, thigh-high and waist-high lengths. However, these may only work effective for spider veins on legs.
These stockings tend to provide extra support and relieve from the symptoms of spider veins which include swelling and pain. Wearing these stocking also help to improve your bodyвЂ™s blood circulation.
You are recommended to consult your doctor before commencing with the remedy. Ask the doctor that how long will the treatment take and how long the stocking is needed to be worn.
Witch hazel is another very effective herb that helps to reduce the symptoms of spider veins. The natural tannins and volatile compounds present in the ingredient help to strengthen blood vessels, thus reducing the appearance of bulging spider veins. This remedy will also help to tighten the distended veins and repair their natural structure.
- All you need to do is to dab witch hazel extract on the affected area and leave it to dry.
- Let it stay and do not wash off.
- Repeat this remedy once or twice daily to get rid of spider veins.
- As an alternative, you can also steep half a cup of witch hazel leaves in a cup of hot water for around 10 minutes.
- Strain the leaves from water and allow the water to cool down at room temperature.
- Now, using a cotton swab apply this solution on the affected area. В
- Leave it on for at least 15 minutes, and repeat twice a day to get rid of spider veins.
Arnica is yet another popular herb which is widely used in homeopathic medicine. It proves helpful for soothing the pain and discomfort cause due to the symptoms of spider veins. This herb contains several compounds that will help to reduce inflammation, pain and other symptoms of spider veins.
- Apply an arnica-based gel or cream on the affected area.
- Repeat this remedy thrice daily to get rid of spider veins.
- As an alternative, you can also take arnica supplements, but first you need to consult your doctor before commencing with its consumption.
Cayenne pepper also helps treat spider veins and otherВ problems linked to poor circulation.В The presence of capsaicin in cayenne pepper initiates healthy blood circulation and eases the pain of congested, swollen veins.
- Add 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to a cup of hot water and stir it well. Drink it twice daily until you are satisfied with the result.
- Include this pepper in your daily cooking or take a supplement after consulting your doctor.
- To reduce pain and swelling, apply capsaicin (cayenne pepper) cream or gel on the affected area.
- Repeat the application as required to get rid of spider veins.
Note:В Intake of cayenne pepper is not recommended for pregnant or nursing women.
Botcher broom is yet another natural remedy that will help to reduce the appearance of spider veins and also improve your complexion. This ingredient is a small evergreen shrub plant that is widely used to improve blood circulation and constrict the veins.
A recent medicinal review has reported that there is an evident growth in the usage of this traditional remedy to get rid of spider veins. It is mentioned in this review that human trials have shown that the consumption of this ingredient helps to improve blood circulation and get rid of spider veins. It also helps to improve the venous tone.
This prehistoric plant proves beneficial to strengthen the vein walls and also improves the blood circulation. We advise you to consume 40 milligrams of ginkgo extract three times daily until you witness progressive results. This makes it as an effective home remedy to get rid of spider veins.
Additional Tips to Prevent Spider Veins
- Do not cross your legs while sitting.
- Avoid sitting or standing in the same position for a longer period of time.
- If you are obese, try to lose the extra body weight.
- Try to avoid wearing high heels for a long period of time.
- Always wear sunscreen when going out in order to protect your skin.
- Quit smoking and limit your alcohol intake. Chain smokers and people who drink in excess are more likely to get spider veins.
- Try to consume a low salt diet and keep a check on your salt intake.
- Include more antioxidants in your daily diet as this will help to maintain healthy and strong veins.
- Drink ample amount of water, fruit juices and green tea on a daily basis in order to keep your body hydrated.
Other Treatments to Get Rid of Spider Veins
In case you feel that natural remedies are not working to get rid of spider veins, there are various medical procedures available to eliminate or shrink the appearance of spider veins and it also helps to lighten your complexion.
There is a treatment called Sclerotherapy. In this procedure a highly concentrated saline (salt) solution is injected directly into the vein, this eventually helps to disappear the vein over time. В Although these spider veins if once treated do not reappear but the new ones can still develop.
Laser treatments are also available to get rid of spider veins.В They are yet another popular treatments to get rid of spider veins. The heat from the laser and the light therapy tends to destroy the spider vein. Although these treatments are effective to get rid of spider veins but, are eventually considered less effective than sclerotherapy.
How to Prevent Spider Veins with Lifestyle Changes
Witnessing the list of causes for spider veins which include obesity, prolonged standing, etc. there are a few things that need to be changed in your daily regime to get rid of spider veins. If you wish to prevent and get rid of spider veins, this is what you can really do apart from the above listed remedies.
Try to maintain a healthy body weight and exercise regularly to get rid of spider veins.
It has been proved that many spices help to improve the blood circulation, so in case you are a spice lover, donвЂ™t be shy of cayenne pepper, ginger, turmeric, onions and garlic. Add them to your juices and daily meals to get rid of spider veins.
Above listed tips and remedies will surely help you to get rid of spider veins and prevent its reappearance in future. In case these are not effective, you always have the option to shift onto the Over the Counter treatments. But, we advise to first try home remedies as they are safe, all-natural and has no side effects on your body.