Having to cut your own hair can prove to be a cumbersome task but let me tell you itвЂ™s certainly not as impossible to difficult as it seems. ItвЂ™s certain that we are all used to going to the salons and getting our hair trimmed and styled there by experts ever since. But the thing is you can definitely cut your own hair at home and avoid shelling our huge bucks in getting them done your desired way. It just requires a little practice and dedication from your side and of course a few easy things on your dressing table.В Read further to know steps to cut your own hair at home.
A few tricks and tips discussed here will go a long way when you are running out of time and donвЂ™t have the time to run to a salon to cut your own hair. In those times, these tricks will go a long way to give you the desired look on your head and to give you bouncy and nicely trimmed hair in just a few minutes.
Trimming Hair: Know More
Before you get down to cutting your own hair at home, do a little research on which haircut will look good on your hair. When you visit a salon, people there can guide properly and can help you with a number of hairstyles that will good for your face cut. But when you are opting to cut your own hair, a little goof up here and there could make things go wrong and you might regret taking the scissors in your hand.
Search on the internet, go through some books to see which simple cut will look good on your hair or rather if you just want to trim your hair, do some research from your side as well as everybody already has a different hair style and reading and research will only help you more.
Just believe in these:
- Keep it simple
- Never cut off more than an inch
- Cut your hair dry
- Point cut with the tips of straight scissors or real hair-cutting shears.
- DonвЂ™t get nervous. Stay your cool.
Ways to Cut Your Own Hair at Home
The below methods will help you a lot when you are opting to cut your own hair at home. Read these carefully:
Do A Simple One Length Trim
Keep your hair dry and no need to wash them or make them wet. Now start parting your hair from the top to the bottom till the nape of your neck. Do this right at the center of your head. You can use a tail comb for this.
- Once the hair is parted bring each side of the parted hair above your shoulders. Just let them fall naturally above your shoulders and keep them straight.
- Now starting on one side, hold hair flat against your body in between your index and middle finger just above the desired length that you did like to trim off.В Keep looking in the mirror all the while you do this, you certainly donвЂ™t want to make any goof ups here right?
- Using the tips of the shears, point cut in an upwards motion to give you a soft uneven edge. This will only help you to disguise a not-so-perfect cut gives you a little texture in your ends as well. Keep doing this slowly, donвЂ™t go impatient.
- Now repeat the same with the second part of the parted hair as well. Make sure to check the evenness and balance from side to side.
- Your end result will be a slightly rounded one length cut.
Trim Existing Bangs
This is a really a good way to cut your own hair and to trim existing bangs. What do you need here? Well, just as the above, you only need a pair of scissors and a mirror and of course a few minutes on your hand.
- Here start with sectioning your hair. Section off a triangular section across your forehead. Make sure that the outer edges fell on the outside of your eyes.
- Now bring your index and your middle finger and gather your hair between them at the bridge of your nose and point cut below your fingers.
- If you want to go shorter, repeat the process moving your fingers up just a little bit at a time.
- If you can always chop off more hair, but once itвЂ™s on the floor; you will only have to wait till it all grows back. You must know this; hair grows on an average, a half an inch per month. Of course, there are always variations, some people grow less and some people even more.
- With this method, you certainly wonвЂ™t regret trimming those bangs. Who said, cutting your own hair is difficult? ItвЂ™s certainly not.
В Do Layers
- This is just the perfect way to get those layers on your head. ItвЂ™s really simple as well. Just imagine, only you can help give yourself those glamorous layers in your hair without shelling out a huge amount of your hard earned money at the salon? Great, isnвЂ™t it?
- Here, you can simply gather your hair to make a nice smooth, tight ponytail on your head. Secure the ponytail on the crown of your head with the help of an elastic hair tie. Make sure you donвЂ™t wet your hair, just keep them as natural as you can.
- To find the perfect ponytail spot, grab your princess crown and put it on. Your ponytail should be in the center of that.
- Now holding the ponytail straight out from the crown between your fingers, point cut into your ends taking no more than an inch off.
- Now just remove the hair and see the magic for yourself!
- The layers you will see will make you fall even more in love with yourself. This is just the most awesome way of giving you those perfect layers at your own space.
- Always make sure though that there should be no residue of any product like mousse, conditioner, oil, etc. in your hair while you do this. If there is, wash off your hair, leave them dry for a long time and only after a few hours, opt for to cut your own hair and give yourself those layers.
How to Cut Your Own Hair From Long to LOB?
- Here too, make sure your hairs are all dry and not at all wet. Now start pulling your hair and make a neat ponytail at the back of your head. Make sure the ponytail is not at the crown of your head. It needs to sit as tight as you can get it at the bottom of your hairline, right at the center.
- Now take the scissors and cut straight across your ponytail, underneath the bobble. Make sure you cut it straight and not in a haphazard manner. This will result in your hair dropping just on top of your shoulders. If you still need to, then you can look in a mirror and see where your hair will sit before cutting it.
- To tell you the truth вЂ“ your hair will now fall into a choppy, graduated L.O.B but still can be a little blunt for some people.
- For a slightly softer feel here you can tip your head upside down so you are looking at the floor. Gently chip into the ends of your hair, holding your scissors at a 90-degree angle. This will create a softer, diffused line.
- Now tip your head back over, shake it out and wear it poker straight or add some waves for movement.
- IsnвЂ™t cutting your own hair as easy as it sounds? Well, try it to believe it. Believe me, itвЂ™s no rocket science. You just need to be sure of the look and donвЂ™t tremble your hands while you cut off your hair with the scissors. You are definitely not far off from getting the desired look on your head.
Removing Split Ends
If you have decided already to cut your own hair, you should ideally know first and foremost how to cut off your split ends. Remember вЂ“ sometimes itвЂ™s not the style you need to get rid of. Just cutting off your split ends will make your hair look good, make them more bouncy and help to give your hair the desired look that you want. Split ends tend to make the hair cling to each other and interfere with bringing your natural hair style out.
For removing split ends, do not attempt to cut layers. Instead, just separate your hair into 1-inch segments. Now twist each segment tightly. Lightly run your fingers up the strands. The ends that stick out are split, so gently trim those hairs away.
While practicing the above methods, take the below precautions as well. These will go a long way when you are cutting your own hair at home and struggling to achieve that desired look all by yourself:
- Try to keep you as dry as possible. If possible, wash your hair and dry it out properly. Your hairs are best 3-4 hours after shampooing. You can also shampoo your hair in the night, dry them off and then chop your hair in the morning.
- Remove any kind of residue in the hair before you cut your own hair вЂ“ get away with any oils, mousse, gel, etc. before you hold the scissors in your hand.
- Keep scissors, tail comb, hair pins, hair ties, normal comb and a mirror handy before you start to cut your own hair at home.
- Take the help of a friend or a family member if youвЂ™re still unsure while cutting your own hair. This second person can hold the scissors and cut your hair while you look into the mirror and give out the instructions.
- Be sure of the length to keep as if you cut off more hair than you want, you canвЂ™t go back to the original length.
- Look out for videos covering the above methods if you are unsure and not confident about these methods. Going through the videos will help you understand the above methods carefully and will help resolve any queries or confusions that you may have.