In this article, we will discuss ways to apply foundation. Even if we arenвЂ™t lucky enough to have it our genes, thereвЂ™s nothing a little makeup canвЂ™t fix! All we need is the right foundation here is the answer. However, if you struggle with applying your foundation for a natural look, don’t worry – it’s a common problem. Not everybody is a pro at applying foundation on their face. People who regularly don makeup are of course well versed in the techniques of applying that perfect foundation, but people who wear makeup only once a while need to know of some tips and tricks in order to apply foundation flawlessly on their faces.В
Here look out for the perfect shade, take your time to apply it the right way, and then set your foundation for the best of makeup circumstances. Between what products to use and how to use them, it’s something you’ve got to get down to a science in order to achieve that flawless, yet miraculously natural-looking skin. Always remember too much or too less of the right foundation or technique will result in a skin too shiny or too dry and that will mar the beauty of your face besides applying foundation in the wrong manner.
Foundation: Know More
This essential element of a makeup kit is a magical skin colored makeup product which helps to even out the skin tone, covers blemishes and provides a flawless finish within minutes of applying it. It comes in many colors and tones, almost suited for every skin tone and type. In todayвЂ™s world, we have a lot of good companies coming out high-quality foundations which work really well on the skin and even help to keep it healthy besides effectively covering all the blemishes of the face. What you need to know while buying a foundation is your skin type and tone and go for the one which is suitable for both. A foundation also comes in various forms such as cream, liquid, mousse, and powder based.
Ways to Apply Foundation:
The below methods are the right methods one should adopt in order to apply foundation on their face. These not only help in giving you a natural look but also help to prevent any damage to the skin:
The Tools You Need:
- A primer
- A compact powder
- A moisturizer
- A foundation
- A concealer
Know Your Skin Type:
It is important to know whether you have dry, oily, normal or combination skin before applying foundation. In order to select the right foundation for your face, itвЂ™s essential to determine this. Some foundations are specially designed for different skin types. A liquid foundation with a built in moisturizing element is perfect for dry skin, whereas a mousse foundation is light and great for oily skin.
Select the Right Foundation
As the name implies, your foundation is the basis for the rest of your makeup. Choose a foundation that identically matches your skin tone to make sure that it acts as a blank canvas. Try multiple shades of foundation on your face (rather than your hand or your neck), and stick with the color that matches your skin tone without blending. This is really crucial before applying foundation on your face.
Decide the Medium
The foundation comes in a variety of mediums and textures, including loose powders, compact powders, creams, liquids, and aerosols. So many types and verities can baffle you, but really doesnвЂ™t change much except for the application of the makeup on your face. Visit the makeup counter at a local department store and try on versions of each to determine which feels the most comfortable and looks the most realistic on your skin when you have decided to apply foundation on your face.
Prepping Your Face
On a clean, well moisturized face, a foundation glides on most smoothly. With a gentle facial cleanser, wash your face and follow up with a facial moisturizer to help it moisturize. For the lotion to set before applying your foundation just wait for five minutes.
Apply Foundation With the Best Techniques:
ItвЂ™s time for the primer to be applied to your skin after you are done with the moisturization of your skin.В This would work as a base before the makeup and make your foundation last longer and as well. In case you have oily skin, you can opt for a primer plus mattifier (two in one) as that would help in mattify the skin to an extent. Start with a concealer. Make use of an applicator brush and apply on the areas where you think you need coverage, such as under the eye, around the mouth or forehead, being gentle on the skin always. The concealer will immediately reduce the appearance of discoloration, cover up blemishes and make your face look even. This step is essential before you apply foundation on your face at any given time.
Pro tip вЂ“You can use your concealer before the foundation or after; depending on the intensity of the coverage needed. There is no set of rules when it comes to makeup, really.
ItвЂ™s now time to apply foundation. You can either opt for a flat/fluffy applicator brush or even a sponge to apply foundation swiftly, choose an appropriate brush for the application.В Start applying from the center of the face and blend it outwards, buff the foundation really well into the skin and blend it evenly all over the face. DonвЂ™t forget the neck area as you donвЂ™t want your face to look different than your neck.
Pro tip вЂ“ To apply foundation easily here uses a duo fibre, synthetic brush in a circular motion.В This helps to buff the product well into the skin.
Usage of some powder is important to set your foundation. Lightly brush the powder all over the face with a fluffy powder brush. Make sure you use loose/pressed powder for this purpose.
Pro tip- The application of powder varies for different skin types. If you have a dry skin, apply powder only where it is required, such as the areas which tend to get a little oily; for instance, the t zone and under the eyes.В In case you have oily skin, majorly on the t- zone.
Finally top up the foundation with a compact powder and light eye shadow, eye liner and a lipstick. And youвЂ™re all set to head out!
Choosing Your Foundation, Tools and Powder:
- There are many different types of foundation and knowing them would help you before you start applying foundation on your face. Every foundation is made for a particular skin type. The main three are: powder, liquid, and cream. Here’s what you need to know based on your skin type:
- Go for a moisturizing liquid or cream foundation if you have a dry skin. Avoid using powder foundation as it will make your skin drier. Choose a hydrating one if you feel you need to sue a powder foundation here.
- Choose a lightweight, oil-free liquid or powder foundation if you have oily skin. In order to absorb the oil better you can also use mineral-based powder foundation. Don’t use cream foundation. It will be too heavy and oily for your skin.
- You can use any type of foundation you want: powder, liquid, or cream if you are blessed with a normal skin.
- Consider using a powder foundation if you have a combination skin. Use more on the oily parts, and less on the dry parts. All this is essential before you apply foundation on your face.
There are also different types of foundation finishes, which you need to know before applying foundation quickly on your face. Some are sheerer while others are more matte. Here’s what you need to know:
- If you want a natural look use a semi-matte foundation. Most foundations are semi-matte.
- If you want to give your skin a healthy glow then use a dewy or illuminizing finish here. This is great for the cold, winter months.
- If you want your face to look smooth then use a matte or flat finish. This is great for pictures. It will also get rid of shine.
ItвЂ™s important to know that some foundations are thick and heavy while others are sheer and light. If you want to just even out your skin tone, but still let your natural features (such as freckles and beauty marks) show, then consider using a sheer foundation. If you want to cover freckles, dark spots, and other blemishes then use a full coverage foundation here. For things like pimples, you might also need to use a concealer in order to hide them effectively. All these points are crucial before applying foundation.
Using Two Different Shades:
Your skin will be lighter during the winter months when there is less sunlight. It will be darker in the summer when the sun is brighter. Normally, the foundation you use in the winter may be too light for your skin during the summer, and the foundation you use in the summer will be too dark for you in the winter so you need to apply foundation wisely. To avoid these problems, get a darker shade to use during the summer, and a lighter shade to use during the winter before you set to apply foundation on your face. As your skin tone lightens or darkens during the spring and fall you can also mix the two shades effectively.
Choose a few shades that you think match your skin tone whenever you shop for foundations. Apply each one along your cheek. Before looking at the foundation again wait for a few minutes. Always make sure you opt for a color that best blends into your skin, this is the most important before you apply foundation.
Choosing Your Powder:
In order to soak up any excess oil or shine you can use a powder foundation. To set your makeup and keep it from moving around, use a setting powder.
The type of foundation you use will determine what you use to apply foundation. Here is what you need to know:
- To apply powder foundation, use a fluffy brush on your face. This can be used for both pressed and loose powder without any hassles. In order to apply a setting powder when you are done doing your makeup, you can use this fluffy brush as well.
- To apply pressed powder foundation, liquid foundation, or cream foundation, use a foam makeup sponge which is easily available. These come in wedge or disk shapes are usually white in color and give you the smoothest, most even coverage at all times.
- To apply liquid or cream foundation, use a foundation brush on your face. They are usually flat with a slightly rounded tip to make them more effective. These brushes are also made with slightly stiffer bristles than a powder brush. They will give you the most coverage here at all costs.
- If you are in a hurry then its best to use your fingers to apply liquid foundation. However, itвЂ™s important to note that this won’t give you the best coverage or the smoothest finish on your face.
Few Useful Tips & Tricks:
The below tips and tricks will also help you a lot when you want to apply foundation in the best possible way for the desired look:
- Apply less quantity of the foundation since more emollient only forms creases and blots the areas once you are done. This is to ensure that the foundation doesnвЂ™t crease into the fine lines on the face when you apply foundation.
- You can also use your foundation as a highlighter to brighten the face by applying a lighter shade of foundation in the center of the face.
- Dampen the foundation brush with a hydrating mist and then apply the foundation with the same it to get a fresh, natural looking face. This will make your face appear supple.
- Apply the highlighter before you apply foundation. This will give an illusion of having a natural glow from within. For a natural lift to your face, use the highlighter on the bridge of the nose, forehead and along the cheekbones.